03 - 22 - 2010 Afternoon grilling sparked structure fire
(LS) The blaze brought in dozens of firefighters from all over Mifflin & parts of Juniata, Snyder, & Centre Counties on Friday to battle the fire caused by a man cooking on a charcoal grill. The 4:30pm fire got out of control as the man was grilling on his balcony on the 3rd floor of the apartment complex located on N. Walnut St. in Lewistown. The intensity of the fire was such that siding from neighboring structures melted. There were no injuries from the apartment residents in the fire but a half-dozen firefighters were treated at Lewistown Hospital for some minor injuries related to fighting the blaze. The Red Cross is assisting the 20 or so residents who were displaced as a result of the fire.